Installing Windows 8 RTM on Asus B121 Part 1
On August 15th Microsoft released the Windows 8 RTM (Release to Manufacturing) to the MSDN and TechNet site. You have to subscribe the site to get access. If you don’t have access you can download the EVAL version of the Windows 8 RTM which is the Enterprise edition that is good for 90 Days. I decided to run that course until it is released to the public in October.
1. Download the Windows 8 RTM Eval 64-bit here (3.4GB).
*Note: No product key is needed however you do need to activate
2. Create a bootable USB Stick. Download Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool here. This allows you to create a bootable USB stick with the downloaded iso file. This makes the process so easy. Click, click, walk away and boom, you have a bootable Windows 8 USB drive. I used a 8 GB USB stick that you can get for $10 at Walmart. Note: A 4 GB will work for both 32-bit and 64-bit.
1. If you feel it necessary, backup your machine. Run Windows Image Backup and take a backup of your Windows 7 system so you can restore back if you want.
1. Plug USB into Slate and start. The Slate will automatically recognize the USB stick and boot from it. No need to get into BIOS. I am also using a USB hub so I can run USB Mouse, Keyboard, and USB Stick.
Note: If it doesn’t boot to the USB stick automatically, you will need to go into the BIOS and change it. You will need USB Keyboard and hit DEL key at boot up.
2. Go through the usual installation options. I selected fresh Install (not an upgrade). You can select an upgrade, but it looks like you won’t be able to keep your files, applications, settings. So really not worth upgrading.
3. Once complete this is the lock screen. Love the new login/start screen.
This is the new start screen.
This is the new desktop.
Look for my next post Part 2 for post OS install.