Installing Windows 8 Release Preview on HP Slate 500 Part 1
The installation of Windows 8 Release Preview is identical to the Windows 8 Developers Preview and the Consumer Preview process that I have outlined in previous posts.
1. Download the Windows 8 Release Preview 32-bit here (2.5GB)
*Note: Be sure to grab the Product Key from the download page. Key is required for installation.
2. Create a bootable USB Stick. Download Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool here. This allows you to create a bootable USB stick with the downloaded iso file. This makes the process so easy. Click, click, walk away and boom, you have a bootable Windows 8 USB drive. I used a 8 GB USB stick that you can get for $10 at Walmart. Note: A 4 GB will work for both 32-bit and 64-bit.
1. Plug USB into HP Slate 500. I have my Slate in the docking station so I have additional USB slots for my USB Mouse and Keyboard.
2. Power on the Slate.
3. Click “-“ to get into the Start Menu.
4. Click “-“ and select Boot Device and click the Home Button to select.
5. Click “-“ and select USB Stick and click the Home Button to select.
6. Go through the usual installation options. I selected fresh Install (not an upgrade) and left all the other partitions intact (SYSTEM and HP_TOOLS), I just installed over the primary partition. (Using a screen shot from previous blog post, same setting though).
This is the lock screen.
This is the main start screen.
In my next post I will go through getting drivers installed and configured.