Installing Windows 8 Release Preview on Asus B121 Part 1
On May 31st Microsoft released the next iteration of Windows 8. This version called the Release Preview (RP). Looks like this will be the last beta of Windows 8 that will be released until the RTM in the Fall of 2012 (October-ish).
In previous post I installed Windows 8 Consumer Preview (CP) here. The installation of Windows 8 RP is identical.
1. Download the Windows 8 Release Preview (RP) 64-bit here (3.3GB).
*Note: Be sure to grab the Product Key (located just below the download links. Key is required for installation.
2. Create a bootable USB Stick. Download Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool here. This allows you to create a bootable USB stick with the downloaded iso file. This makes the process so easy. Click, click, walk away and boom, you have a bootable Windows 8 USB drive. I used a 8 GB USB stick that you can get for $10 at Walmart. Note: A 4 GB will work for both 32-bit and 64-bit.
1. If you feel it necessary, backup your machine. Run Windows Image Backup and take a backup of your Windows 7 system so you can restore back if you want.
1. Plug USB into Slate and start. The Slate will automatically recognize the USB stick and boot from it. No need to get into BIOS. I am also using a USB hub so I can run USB Mouse, Keyboard, and USB Stick.
Note: If it doesn’t boot to the USB stick automatically, you will need to go into the BIOS and change it. You will need USB Keyboard and hit DEL key at boot up.
2. Go through the usual installation options. I selected fresh Install (not an upgrade). You can select an upgrade, but it looks like you won’t be able to keep your files, applications, settings. So really not worth upgrading.
Windows 8 Release Preview FAQ here.
3. Once complete this is the lock screen. Love the new login/start screen.
This is the new start screen.
Look for my next post Part 2 where I will go through getting drivers installed.