Installing Windows 8 CP on Asus B121 Part 1
I had previously installed Windows 8 Consumer Preview on Asus EP121 here. Now putting it on the B121. I recently got my hands on the B121 model. It is very similar to the EP121 with the main difference the TPM Chip, Windows 7 Pro/Ult, along with some other paid features like LoJack, and a Asus cloud storage. Basically Asus is targeting this as a built for business. Pretty much identical to the EP121 so it will look the same.
1. Download the Windows 8 Consumer Preview 64-bit here (3.3GB)
*Note: Be sure to grab the Product Key from the download page. Key is required for installation.
2. Create a bootable USB Stick. Download Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool here. This allows you to create a bootable USB stick with the downloaded iso file. This makes the process so easy. Click, click, walk away and boom, you have a bootable Windows 8 USB drive. I used a 8 GB USB stick that you can get for $10 at Walmart. Note: A 4 GB will work for both 32-bit and 64-bit.
1. Run Windows Image Backup and take a backup of your Windows 7 system so you can restore back if you want.
1. Plug USB into Slate and start. The Slate will automatically recognize the USB stick and boot from it. No need to get into BIOS. I am also using a USB hub so I can run USB Mouse, Keyboard, and USB Stick.
2. Go through the usual installation options. I selected fresh Install (not an upgrade).
3. Once complete this is the lock screen. Love the blue…
This is the new start screen.
In my next post (Part 2) will go through and get drivers installed and configured.