I ran into a problem while using Dropbox on several machines running Windows 8 DP (HP TC1100 Tablet PC and HP Slate 500). I wasn’t able to get the Selective Sync to work. The Selective Sync button when clicked doesn’t do anything. Just doesn’t work.
Selective Sync allows you to select what files and folders you want to sync to your computer.
I use this particularly on several machines that I use to test things on and at work, so I don’t necessarily need all my files synced.
I found if you install the software using Windows 7 Compatibility setting it will install successfully and the Selective Sync works.
1. Right click on the file and select Properties.
2. Click on the Compatibility tab.
3. Under Compatibility mode put a check for “Run this program in compatibility mode for” and select Windows 7.
4. Under Privilege Level put a check for “Run this program as an administrator”.
5. Click the Apply button and then Ok.
6. Double click on the file to install. During the installation you select advanced and it allows you to specify folders to sync.
This allows you to select the files and folders that you wish to sync.
I tested this on version 1.2.48 and 1.3.2 (beta). Both exhibit the same issues, but both work with the above workaround.
UPDATE: The above allows you to use the selective sync when you initially install, but after the installation selective sync button in preferences still does not work. Sad face.
UPDATE: Looks like with version 1.2.51 the Selective Sync seems to be working. Awesome!