How to disable the auto brightness in the Samsung Series 7 Slate
One of the things that I noticed right away with the Samsung Series 7 Slate was the auto brightness constantly changing the brightness on the Slate. This is a real problem when I am holding it because I am left handed so my right hand holds the slate near the brightness sensor (1/3 of the way down the right side of the slate in the black/bezel area). My right hand would always cover it or just go over the sensor causing the screen brightness to adjust. It really got annoying, so I wanted to disable it, but I could not figure it out. I finally found that there is a Samsung utility called Easy Settings that allows you control a bunch of settings including this auto brightness.
Well I am in Windows 8 Consumer Preview, so this is the following way to turn off.
1. Download the Samsung Easy Setting software to help you better control Touch, Power Management, Wireless, Display, Background, and Screen Saver. Get it here.
2. Go to Manuals & Downloads, then to Software.
3. Find Easy Settings (software) (ver.184.108.40.206) and download.
4. Comes in a zip file so unzip it into a folder
5. Find the Setup.EXE and run it in Windows 7 Compatibility mode.
Note: When I say to run in Windows 7 Compatibility mode = To install these drivers you will need to right click on the file, select Properties, click on the Compatibility tab. Put a check in the Compatibility Mode (Select Windows 7), Click ok and then double click on the file to install.
You may get a pop up about it not installing correctly. Don’t worry it installs. This should create a shortcut on your desktop. Go ahead and launch it.
6. Click on the Display setting.
7. Uncheck “Use the auto brightness control depending on the ambient illumination” and then you can close the window.
Now you won’t be annoyed with the constant screen brightness changing.
UPDATE: (Windows 8 RTM)
The Samsung Easy Setting application is no longer working in Windows 8 RTM. To work around this.
Open Control Panel | Hardware and Sound | Power Options
Click on the Change Plan Settings link to the right of the Power Plan. Click on Change advanced power settings link.
Scroll down the list and look for Display and expand.
Under Enable adaptive brightness change to No.